Nowadays there are many ways to control children online. Each parent can choose the best option for himself and his family, depending on the provider and anti-spam software that he is already using, and of course, depending on child age, gender and life conditions. Check out these common ways of online protection and statistics: what actually children do online.
What actually children do online: statistics
Children start actively visit Internet and register in social networks at the age of 9-11 years. At this time, most of all they are interested in games and applications. At 13 they start searching for information and communication in the network. And at this time you should start worrying.
Regarding statistics, collected by Everycloud , children share a lot of private information and communicate online with their adolescents even more online, than personally. They lie about their age for access to unsolicited sites, but publish a lot of real data about themselves in social networks, that’s why online abusers can easily find them.
As an addition, Guardchild says:
- The largest group of Internet porn consumers are teens of age 12-17.
- 70 % of kids in age 8-12 have accidently entered porno sites by entering innocent search term.
- 1 in 5 youth ages 10 to 17 received a sexual solicitation or were aggressively asked for sex and meet in person.
The main mistake is to think that children are using some other Internet. Try to open Google and enter into the search bar some disturbing search query. And now drop the illusion – your children see the same things.
The ways of protection.
- Tell the child what the Internet is, what the Internet is useful for, what can be found there interesting and what negative. It is better to show a virtual network as an assistant in the search for information or as means of education, and not as an opportunity for entertainment and pleasure, so that the child does not spend all the free time online.
- Arrange with the child how much time he will spend online. For each age there should be a time limit – the older the child, the more he can stay online, but certain limits should still be maintained. For the child of 10 years old 30 minutes is enough. You can create a list of home rules for using the Internet, which will list the sites that you can visit, information about the protection of personal data, ethics of behavior online and so on.
- Warn your child about forbidden information and intruders. It’s about violence, drugs, pornography, pages with a nationalistic or frankly fascist ideology. All this is available in Internet without restrictions. It often happens that viewing such information does not even depend on the child – many sites display pop-up windows containing pornography. When confronted with negative content, the child must tell the parents about it.
- Teach your children about privacy. If the site needs a child to enter a name, help him to come up with a nickname that does not disclose any personal information. Tell the children that he can not report any information about his family – share problems, talk about family members, the material condition, report the address.
- Talk with children about their virtual friends and about things they do together. Often pedophiles are registered on children’s websites, communicate with the child for a long time – all this for a certain purpose – to win the confidence of the child and to meet with him. What the consequences of the meeting may be, it is not difficult to guess. Teach your children to talk about meetings in real life. If the child wants to meet with a friend, he must necessarily inform the adults about it.
- Tell him about online fraud – lotteries, tests, so that the child never, without adults awareness, sends a message to find out any information from the Internet.
- Explain the child that he should never respond to instant messages or e-mails from strangers. If the child is frightened, alarmed or threatened in the correspondence, in a letter, he must tell the adults about it.